there may be a better way but you can try making hadoop-3 profile default
in your pom
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/pom.xml#L2514-L2771
you can test and confirm but I believe the diff in the activation section
is what controls which profile gets executed
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/pom.xml#L2777-L2782