Hey Austin,

It sounds like you are asking about read availability in the case where a
primary cluster becomes unhealthy?

In that case, you should look at the HBase on S3 Read Replica clusters
feature[1][2]. This allows for High availability reads if the primary
cluster becomes unhealthy.

Let me know if I misinterpreted your ask!

Thanks,
Zach

[1]
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/emr/latest/ReleaseGuide/emr-hbase-s3.html#emr-hbase-s3-read-replica