Have you considered below options to reduce number/time of compactions?

- Reduce memstore flushes to create fewer hfiles there by reducing number
of compactions. By setting hbase.hregion.memstore.flush.size and other
parameters.
- hbase.offpeak.start & end , so that compactions triggered during off peak
time
- disabling major compaction and running manually on days with low load OR
delay major compactions using *hbase.hregion.majorcompaction*
- Checkout date tiered compaction, which doesn't compact older hfiles