I can see in branch 1.1 that CompactSplitThread does load a
CompactionThroughputController here [1], and it's possible to set
PressureAwareCompactionThroughputController [2] on
"hbase.regionserver.throughput.controller" property.
PressureAwareCompactionThroughputController defines additional
configurations to control, eventually slowing down, compaction throughput.

HStore also considers offpeak hours when creating the compaction request
[3]. Offpeak configurations then available would be
"hbase.offpeak.end.hour" and "hbase.offpeak.start.hour".

[1]
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/branch-1.1/hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/CompactSplitThread.java#L162
[2]
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/branch-1.1/hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/compactions/PressureAwareCompactionThroughputController.java