Hi Nick,

We have been running HBase 1.x ( now HBase 1.2 ) in EC2 for many years now.
We don't have a lot of data (~60GB). We made the following adjustments over
a period of time. We use CDH to deploy our cluster.

I am not an HBase expert so please use this numbers at your own risk.

Thanks
Prashant

Hbase configuration > Region Server > HBase Region Server Lease Period = 10
minutes ( default is 1 minute )
zookeeper configuration >  Server > Maximum Session timeout > 600000
same change on zookeeper as well.

To increase regionserver heap size for outofmemoryerror etc:
HBase> Configuration > Resource Management > Java Heap Size of HBase
RegionServer in Bytes