What version of HBase? We noticed similar issues when using non-loopback
addresses for various dependencies, especially ZK (HBASE-23764
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-23764>, HBASE-23919
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-23919>, HBASE-23993
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-23993> etc). You should see
some symptoms in the logs (and often times stack traces about timing out ZK
connections) if this is the case. Did you already try this?