Hi all,

HBase submits a report to the ASF board once a quarter, to inform the board
about project health. I'm sending the report to the user@ and dev@ mailing
lists because you are the project, and for transparency. If you have any
questions about the report or the running of the project, you can post them
to any PMC member or committer, or send an email to priv...@hbase.apache.org,
which every PMC member subscribes to.

Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of rows
with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware.

hbase-thirdparty is a set of internal artifacts used by the project to
mitigate the impact of our dependency choices on the wider ecosystem.

hbase-connectors is a collection of integration points with other projects.
The initial release includes artifacts for use with Apache Kafka and Apache
Spark.

hbase-filesystem contains HBase project-specific implementations of the Apache
Hadoop FileSystem API. It is currently experimental and internal to the
project.

hbase-operator-tools is a collection of tools for HBase operators. Now it is
mainly for hosting HBCK2.

hbase-native-client is a client library in C/C++, in its early days.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache HBase was founded 2010-04-21 (12 years ago)
There are currently 99 committers and 57 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 9:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Xiaolin Ha on 2022-04-06.
- No new committers. Last addition was Bryan Beaudreault on 2022-04-08.

## Project Activity:
Recent releases:
2.5.0 was released on 2022-08-31.
2.4.14 was released on 2022-08-29.
1.7.2 was released on 2022-08-09.

We released 1.7.2, and finally EOLed all the 1.x release lines.

https://lists.apache.org/thread/nwhwkz45n3ns0k8j3pcmn9swzglbr6s7
https://lists.apache.org/thread/nkfxkwosp0zvo14vks773lc5ghv7vld8

We added TLS support at RPC layer and planed to release it in 2.6.0.
https://lists.apache.org/thread/zl1dr7jhgtw268ltstfjgngkrgr2cclk

We finally released 2.5.0, which is the first release of 2.5.x release line.
https://lists.apache.org/thread/dbtlgcog1sh5l8y3jwjno3zwc618xm0z

We discussed how to better support client with hadoop 3 support.
https://lists.apache.org/thread/y05gspk4mnxsz6nk7hc5ots8wt50366b

## Community Health:
- Mailing list activity:
d...@hbase.apache.org:
952 subscribers(948 in the previous quarter)

user@hbase.apache.org:
1994 subscribers(2000 in the previous quarter)

user...@hbase.apache.org
77 subscribers(75 in the previous quarter)

- JIRA activity:
231 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (-3% change)
200 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (-88% change)

- Commit activity:
566 commits in the past quarter (-13% change)
47 code contributors in the past quarter (-6% change)

- GitHub PR activity:
219 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-24% change)
239 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-14% change)

The big decrease of closed issues on jira is because we closed a bunch of
issues which have been included in old releases and resolved for a long time
in the past quarter, and we will resume this housekeeping again soon.. We
released 2.5.0, which is the first release of the 2.5.x release line. We
released 1.7.2 and finally EOLed all the 1.x release lines. We are currently
preparing the 2.6.0 release which contains TLS support, hope we could release
2.6.0 in the next few months. 3.0.0-alpha-4 is still waiting some features to
be landed, hope we could release it by the end of year.