On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This should be documented in README.txt
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Steven Wong <sw...@netflix.com> wrote:
>>
>> You need to run hive_root/build/dist/bin/hive, not hive_root/bin/hive.

It actually is.

Downloading and building
------------------------

- svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/hive/trunk hive_trunk
- cd hive_trunk
- hive_trunk> ant package -Dtarget.dir=<install-dir> -Dhadoop.version=0.17.2.1

If you do not specify a value for target.dir it will use the default
value build/dist. Then you can run the unit tests if you want to make
sure it is correctly built:

Running Hive

Hive uses hadoop that means:
- you must have hadoop in your path OR
- export HADOOP=<hadoop-install-dir>/bin/hadoop

To use hive command line interface (cli) from the shell:
$ cd <install-dir>
$ bin/hive

but for whatever reason people seem to been drawn to the bin/hive
right off the trunk. I think if we camouflaged that directory somehow
we might help stop people from wandering onto it.