Hi Mark,

When we load data into Hive, we use a staging table to dynamically partition
our data. This might help you too.

We create our initial table and our staging table:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS staging_data;
CREATE TABLE staging_data ( ... )
        ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',';
CREATE TABLE data ( ... )
        PARTITIONED BY (dt STRING, hour, INT)
        ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' STORED AS SEQUENCEFILE;

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE data PARTITION(dt, hour) SELECT q.*,
to_date(q.session_timestamp) AS dt, hour(q.session_timestamp) AS hour FROM
staging_session q ORDER BY user_id DISTRIBUTE BY user_id;

So.....
By distributing by (and preferably ordering by) user_id, we can minimize seek
time in the table because Hive knows where all entries pertaining to a specific
user are stored. Partitions by time have the best performance, because chances
are almost every query will have some time-related component in it (and it
spreads out the data among partitions fairly well.)

Let me know if this works for you. We start every job with those first few
lines of Hive script. It works well for us.

Thanks,

Travis Powell