I have a similar UDF to this one which create's just fine.

I cam seem to resolve what 'return code -101' means however with this
one.

Can anyone tell me what 'return code -101' means?

My StemTermsUDF.jar has the proper classpath for the JWNL jars
already, I'm trying to insure they've REALLY available by 'add jar'
within hive.

All the paths are correct and I've checked them MANY times to be sure
before posting this.

hive> add file /usr/lib/hadoop/lib/jwnl/jwnl_properties.xml;
Added resource: /usr/lib/hadoop/lib/jwnl/jwnl_properties.xml
hive> add jar /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/jwnl.jar;
Added /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/jwnl.jar to class path
Added resource: /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/jwnl.jar
hive> add jar /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/commons-logging.jar;
Added /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/commons-logging.jar to class path
Added resource: /usr/lib/hive/lib/jwnl/commons-logging.jar
hive> add jar StemTermsUDF.jar;
Added StemTermsUDF.jar to class path
Added resource: StemTermsUDF.jar
hive> create temporary function StemTermsUDF as
'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.udf.StemTermsUDF';
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/didion/jwnl/JWNLException
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FunctionTask.getUdfClass(FunctionTask.java:
119)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FunctionTask.createFunction(FunctionTask.
java:
75)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FunctionTask.execute(FunctionTask.java:
63)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:
130)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:
57)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:
1063)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:900)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:748)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:209)
       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:286)
       at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:
516)
       at
57)
       at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
43)
net.didion.jwnl.JWNLException
       at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
294)
       ... 18 more
FAILED: Execution Error, return code -101 from
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.FunctionTask