Hi Dalia
    By complex queries if you are looking at joins with multiple tables and so
on, Hbase doesn't support joins. In the absence of joins if you want to achieve
a join that involved multiple tables in RDBMS, based on your requirement you
should find suitable Column Families and Qualifiers in single Hbase table to
accommodate those multiple tables in RDBMS. I haven't played much with HBQL,
but if you are developing some API you can depend on the HBase Java API
internally for storage and retrieval of records. Hbase the Querying (Retrieval
time) largely depends on how you design the Row key and Column family (Hbase
stores CF together and Row Keys sorted and distributed across regions). If you
want to have a SQL like querying functionality for a Hbase table you have to
correspondingly mount that to a hive table.

    In my personal experience I have used hbase tables for real time data
storage and retrieval for a hadoop enterprise application. There were scheduled
Map Reduce jobs that run on off peak hours that dumps the required data
(formatted and filtered) from this Hbase table into hdfs and from there hive
consumes the data for analytical purposes. We had a good number of analytical
jobs and didn't wanted to choke hbase servers in peak hours so the mining and
analytics part were moved completely to hive.

Regards
Bejoy.K.S