Toad uses JDBC only while connecting as a direct Hive Connection from
Eclipse. In most other cases where a Hub is involved it uses Thrift.

On the other hand in the current release of Toad for Cloud there is no way
to specify what hive user you want to connect as and hence it always
connects as the User with which the hive server is running, and connects to
the default database.

What version of Toad for Cloud are you using?

Thanks,
Amit