I have a custom SerDe that's initializing properly and works on one data set.
I built it to adapt to a couple of different data formats, though, and it's
choking on a different data set (different partitions in the same table).

A null pointer exception is being thrown on deserialize, that's being wrapped
by an IOException somewhere up the stack.  The exception is showing up in the
hive output ("Failed with exception
java.io.IOException:java.lang.NullPointerException"), but I can't find the
stack trace in any logs.

It's worth noting that I'm running hive via the cli on a machine external to
the cluster, and the query doesn't get far enough to create any M/R tasks.  I
looked in all log files in /var/log on the hive client machine, and in all
userlogs on each cluster instance.  I also looked in derby.log (I'm using the
embedded metastore) and in /var/lib/hive/metastore on the hive client machine.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious…  Any ideas?