I'm having problems with HIVE- EC2 reading files on S3.

I have a lot of files and folders on S3 created by s3cmd and utilized
by Elastic Map Reduce (HIVE) and they work interchangeably, files
created by HIVE-EMR can be read by s3cmd and vice versa.
However, I'm having problems with HIVE/Hadoop running on EC2. Both
Hive 0.7 and 0.8 seem to create an additional folder "/" on S3

For example, if I have a file s3://bucket/path/00000 created by s3cmd
or HIVE-EMR and I try to create an external table on HIVE- EC2

create external table wc(site string, cnt int) row format delimited
fields terminated by '\t' stored as textfile location
's3://bucket/path'

This does not recognize the EMR created s3 folders, instead I see a
new folder "/"

<bucket> / "/" / path

Am I missing something here ?

Balaji