Is see, you store the date-time as a lexicographically sortable string.  That's
fine, but I'm operating on existing csv tables.  I guess I could whip up a
hadoop job to convert all the date-time columns to lexicographic strings and
then wrap hive around the resulting converted tables.  I was just wondering if
there was a more direct approach, whether I could apply hive to the original
csv tables.

*Would* the date functions work in the way I suggested in my first post or do
you think a lexicographic conversion is practically required to perform
date-ordering on query results?

On Mar 13, 2012, at 09:49 , Tucker, Matt wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> We generally store date columns as a string in a similar format to ISO 8601
> (yyyy-mm-dd hh:MM:ss).  This way, when we put the date column in the ORDER BY
> clause, it will be sorted chronologically.  It also saves us the trouble of
> whipping out a unix timestamp calculator to figure out what we're looking at.
>
> There is supposed to be a TIMESTAMP data type in Hive 0.8, but I haven't
> found any documentation on it yet.
>
> Matt Tucker

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
be blindly and impotently happy."
                                           --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland