Sounds like Matt possesses the proper combination of expertise in both
databases and MapReduce to assist you.  I'm bowing out as I honestly don't know
advanced database concepts at all.  In addition, hive offers hive-specific
tools like Matt suggested (map-side joins) to help out, which I'm too new too
to speculate on.  I'm just starting hive this week as a matter of fact.

The short answer on MapReduce algorithms is that the individual computational
units can't communicate with each other (each mapper or each map() in fact
cannot communicate with the others, likewise for reducers).  That's one of the
major distinctions between MapReduce and more general parallel processing
frameworks like MPI.  This is the wrong mailing list to go much deeper than
that however.

Thanks Matt.

Best of luck Mahsa.

On Mar 13, 2012, at 10:13 , Tucker, Matt wrote:

> For theta joins, you’ll have to convert the query to an equi-join, and then
> filter for non-equality in the WHERE clause.  Depending upon the size of each
> table, you might consider looking at map-side joins, which will allow for
> doing non-equality filters during a join before it’s passed to the reducers.
>
> Matt Tucker

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

                                           --  Yoda