From: Bejoy Ks [mailto:bejoy...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:46 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: We cannot insert data to external table right?

Hi Wei
       Definitely you can do it. And infact the purpose of external tables is
to manage the data dir on their own instead of making hive manage the same. It
is not just meant for reading  some already existing data on hdfs but also
processing the same with hive QL. In the LOCATION try out specifying a hdfs dir
rather than a local fs dir
Try out the same DDL with the following modification ...LOCATION '/dir/in/hdfs'

And for your question. Definitely you can insert  data into External Tables

Regards
Bejoy.K.S