Hi Bejoy,
Thanks for your reply.
The function is from the book, Hadoop The Definitive Guide 2nd edition. On
page 203 there is
"The split size is calculated by the formula (see the computeSplitSize()
method in FileInputFormat): max(minimumSize, min(maximumSize, blockSize))
by default:minimumSize < blockSize < maximumSize so the split size is
blockSize."

And I've actually used the HDFS block size to control the number of mappers
launched before.
So as to your response, do you mean that any value of the data between 1B
and 256MB is OK for the mappers to process?
Then the only way I can think of to increase the #mappers is to reduce the
max split size.

Regards,
Bruce