I see hive-31 supposedly supports this, but when mimicking the syntax in
the jira i get errors

hive> create table   dem select demographics_local.*  from
demographics_local;
FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:19 cannot recognize input near 'select'
'demographics_local' '.' in create table statement

I tried some variants on the above  with similar results:

hive> insert overwrite table dem select * from demographics_local;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Line 1:23 Table not found 'dem'

If i create the target table first, then things are ok.  But is that
necessary?

hive> create table dem(uid int, age string, gender string, dlocation string,
    > children string, home_market_value string, home_owner_status string,
home_property_type string,
    > household_income string, length_of_residence string, marital_status
string)
    > ;
OK
hive> insert overwrite table dem select * from
demographics_local;
Total MapReduce jobs = 2
Launching Job 1 out of 2
Table default.dem stats: [num_partitions: 0, num_files: 1, num_rows: 0,
total_size: 9946167, raw_data_size: 0]
301399 Rows loaded to dem
OK