At times Hive error message could be misleading. I face similar error
message while running query by embedding Hive in my application. Though
actual error message in my case is, which is not propagated properly-

FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Line 3:2 Invalid function abc

See if you are doing something different on CLI.

Thanks,
Vinod