Hi

When you say

I suppose you have entered correct path to your hadoop below

*export HADOOP_HOME=/path_of_your_hadoop_folder

*

To check if hive is installed properly just check that you can enter hive
mode

when you say

hive -version

it should show hive version.

Now lets suppose you have working hive then

To Start HIVE thrift server just type

 # hive --service hiveserver

It would show message like

Starting Hive Thrift Server

To check it hive server has been started successfully
 Type

#netstat -nl | grep 10000

Some service must be running there.

Hope it helps