Hi Jan,
Thanks for the analysis.
Yes, it's true that optimize ppd will push predicates to be evaluated
earlier. The only catch there is that predicates cannot be pushed across
constructs that change the data in the query. An example of this is having
a predicate (say of the form 'where Col is not NULL') on the right table in
left outer join query. Such a predicate will lead to different results when
executed (on the right table) before or after the left join. Therefore,
predicate push down wouldn't make sense in such a case. However, if you
have an inner join on the same tables, predicates can be pushed down since
executing the predicate before or after the inner join leads to the same
results.

Can you please check if predicate push down enabled changes the explain
plan on a simple inner join query like:

select a.* from a inner join b on(a.key=b.key) where a.some_col=blah;

Thank you for your input, Jan!

Mark