Are you using EMR?
Have you tried  setting
Hive.optimize.s3.query=true

as mentioned in
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/ElasticMapReduce/latest/DeveloperGuide/emr-hive-version-details.html

I haven't tried using that option myself. I am curious if it helps in your
scenario. The above page also mentions another fix that's supposed to help
with partitioned tables. Optimizing queries with thousands of input files
used to take a lot of time. But it looks like that fix is enabled by
default now.

Just in case, also check your jvm reuse option. If it's too low,
performance will suffer. I had it set to 3 to avoid running out of memory.
Using the default value of 20 really helps when reading lots of small files.

igor
decide.com