I'm afraid that  he query

SELECT * FROM REALTIME where dt= yesterdaydate('yyyyMMdd') LIMIT 10;

will scan entire table, because the functions is evaluated at runtime, so
Hive doesn't know what the value is when it decides which files to scan. I
am not 100% sure though, you should try it.

Also, you might want to try to add annotation to your UDF saying that the
function is deterministic:
@*UDFType(deterministic=false*)

I think Hive might be clever enough to evaluate it early enough to use the
partition pruning correctly, since it operates on constant expression. But
again, I'm not really sure, maybe someone with deeper knowledge of Hive
optimizations will tell us more. It is actually quite interesting question.

Another way to help Hive with the optimizations might be to skip passing
the format string argument, if you have all dates in same format, you can
call the function just like 'yesterdaydate()' and hardcode the format in
the function.

Jan