From: ext John Meagher [mailto:john.meag...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:11 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: Converting rows into dynamic colums in Hive

R is another programming language geared to statistical analysis.  It has some
features that make it easy to write this sort of data manipulation.
http://www.r-project.org/

Here's a sample R function that does something similar to what you need (note:
I'm not a real R programmer, so this might be ugly, but it
works):

abCountsToMatrix <- function(csvFilename, outputmatrixfile){

   data <- read.csv(csvFilename, as.is=T, check.names=F, header=F)
   cat("Loaded", nrow(data), "rows.\n")
   idrows <- sort(unique(c(data[ , 1])))
   idcols <- sort(unique(c(data[ , 2])))

   cat("Found", length(idrows), " X ", length(idcols), ".")
   output <- array(0, c(length(idrows), length(idcols)))
   rownames(output) <- idrows
   colnames(output) <- idcols

   for(i in 1:nrow(data)){

     if (i %% 100 == 0) {
       cat("On ", i, " of ", nrow(data), "\n")
     }

     rowidx <- which(idrows == data[i, 1])
     colidx <- which(idcols == data[i, 2])

     count <- data[i,3]

     output[rowidx, colidx] <- count
   }

   write.csv(output, file=outputmatrixfile, quote=F)

}