Carl,

I tried and found ALTER TABLE SET LOCATION command can't be used
to set location for non-native tables. In my case, where all hive tables are
mapped with tables in hbase, ALTER TABLE SET LOCATION  was not possible!!
I agree it wasn't a good idea though but only option i believe

or is it available with any newer hive release?

Thanks,
Alok

--
Alok Kumar