Hi Lauren and Zhang,
    The book "Programming Hive" suggests to use Double (instead of float)
and also to cast any literal value to double. I am already using double for
all my computations (both in hive table schema as well as in my UDF).
Furthermore, I am not comparing two floats/doubles. I am doing some
computations involving doubles...and those minor differences are adding up.

It looks like what Mark Grover was telling - mapping between Java datatypes
to Hive data-types. I am yet to look at that portion of the source-code.

Thanks and will keep you posted,
/PD