From: bejoy...@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 14:39:45
To: <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Re: External table with partitions

Hi Oded

If you have created the directories manually that would come visible to the
hive table only if the partitions/ sub dirs are added to the meta data using
'ALTER TABLE ... ADD PARTITION' .
Partitions are not retrieved implicitly into hive tabe even if you have a
proper sub dir structure.

Similarly if you don't need a particular partition on your table permanently
you can always delete them using the alter table command.

If you are intending to use a particular partition alone in your query no need
to alter the partitions. Just append a where clause to the query that has scope
only on the required partitions.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Bejoy KS