One reason I know for this error is not setting up HADOOP_HOME. It is right
to not set this variable since it was deprecated and replaced with
HADOOP_PREFIX and HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME. However, it seems like hive still has
some haunting references to HADOOP_HOME causing this error, specially after
the query has failed and it attempts to grab debugging info from the
tasktracker URL.

As far as your job is concerned, the failure has nothing to do with this
error. Check your tasktrackers logs to know what blew up.

--
Swarnim