If you look into ${HIVE_HOME}/bin/hive script there are multiple ways to
add the jar.  One of my favorite, besides the .hiverc file, has been to put
the jar into ${HIVE_HOME}/auxlib dir.  There always is the
HIVE_AUX_JARS_PATH environment variable (but this introduces a dependency
on the environment).