No problem Keith - it was a worthwhile exercise for me to go back and double
check everything was working as expected.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Wiley [mailto:kwi...@keithwiley.com]
Sent: 27 March 2013 17:03
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: S3/EMR Hive: Load contents of a single file

Okay, I also saw your previous response which analyzed queries into two tables
built around two files in the same directory.  I guess I was simply wrong in my
understanding that a Hive table is fundamentally associated with a directory
instead of a file.  Turns out, it be can either one.  A directory table uses
all files in the directory while a file table uses one specific file and
properly avoids sibling files.  My bad.

Thanks for the careful analysis and clarification.  TIL!

Cheers!

On Mar 27, 2013, at 02:58 , Tony Burton wrote:

> A bit more info - do an extended description of the table:
>
> $ desc extended gsrc1;
>
> And the "location" field is "location:s3://mybucket/path/to/data/src1.txt"
>
> Do the same on a table created with a location pointing at the directory and
> the same info gives (not surprisingly) "location:s3://mybucket/path/to/data/"

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was.  Now, what I'm with
isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me."
                                           --  Abe (Grandpa) Simpson

Inbound Email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM

Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may
be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the
dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this
in error, please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the
email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor the sender
accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect
any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It
is the responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility
is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of
this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Gateway House,
Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and
regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling
Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).  Any financial promotion
contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM