Actually, Hive already has the ability to have different schemas for
different partitions. (Although of course it would be nice to have the
alter table be more flexible!)

The "versioned metadata" means that the ORC file's metadata is stored in
ProtoBufs so that we can add (or remove) fields to the metadata. That means
that for some changes to ORC file format we can provide both forward and
backward compatibility.

-- Owen