Also, how big are the files in each directory? Are they roughly the size of
one HDFS block or a multiple. Lots of small files will mean lots of mapper
tasks will little to do.

You can also compare the job tracker console output for each job. I bet the
slow one has a lot of very short map and reduce tasks, while the faster one
has fewer tasks that run longer. A rule of thumb is that any one task
should take 20 seconds or more to amortize over the few seconds spent in
start up per task.

In other words, if you think about what's happening at the HDFS and MR
level, you can learn to predict how fast or slow things will run. Learning
to read the output of EXPLAIN or EXPLAIN EXTENDED helps with this.

dean

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com