 From: Sanjay Subramanian <sanjay.subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
To: "user@hive.apache.org" <user@hive.apache.org>; Raj Hadoop
<hadoop...@yahoo.com>; User <u...@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: Unable to stop Thrift Server

Raj
Which version r u using ?

I think from 0.9+ onwards its best to use service to stop and start and NOT
hive

sudo service hive-metastore stop
sudo service hive-server stop

sudo service hive-metastore start
sudo service hive-server start

Couple of general things that might help

1. Use linux screens : then u can start many screen sessions and u don't have
to give the synch mode "&" of execution
     Its very easy to manage several screen sessions and they keep running till
your server restarts….and generally u can ssh to some jumhost and create your
screen sessions there

2. Run the following
     pstree -pulac | less
     U can possible search for hive or your username or root which was used to
start the service…and kill the process

sanjay