Hi Keith,

In regards to filename conventions, there isn't a hard requirement to use a
specific extension.  Aside from the two extensions already mentioned
('.hql','.sql'), there is a 3rd option commonly used in the Hive test
queries<https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/trunk/ql/src/test/queries/clientpositive>:
'.q'.

I stay with '.q' as well, so that Hive code can be easily differentiated
from other SQL code.

Matt