Hello ma'am,

      Hive queries are parsed using ANTLR <http://www.antlr.org/> and and
are converted into corresponding MR jobs(actually a lot of things happen
under the hood). I had answered a similar
question<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17090022/hive-query-control-flow/17095756?noredirect=1#comment24873979_17095756>few
days ago on SO, you might find it helpful. But I would suggest you to
go through the original
paper<http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs227/papers/hive.pdf>which explains
all these things in proper detail. I would also recommend
you to go through the book "Programming Hive". It's really nice.

HTH

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com