@Stephen:  given the  'relative' path for hive is from a local downloads
directory on each local tasktracker in the cluster,  it was my thought that
if the archive were actually being expanded then
somedir/somefileinthearchive  should work.  I will go ahead and test this
assumption.

In the meantime, is there any facility available in hive for making
archived files available to hive jobs?  archive or hadoop archive ("har")
etc?