Will it be possible for you to share your query ? and if you are using any
custom udf then the java code for the same ?

how are you upgrading from hive-0.8 to hive-0.11?

aws announced that EMR supports hive 0.11  and that was 4 days ago. Can you
check if you need to see if you need to change something on EMR side ?

--
Nitin Pawar