You can find documentation for installation and configuration here:

   - Old versions of HCatalog:
   http://hive.apache.org/docs/hcat_r0.5.0/install.html
   - Current HCatalog:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HCatalog+InstallHCat
   - Hive metastore:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+MetastoreAdmin

The Hive metastore doc says you need javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName
& javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword
(#3 & #4) for local and remote modes, but not for embedded mode.  Only
remote mode needs hive.metastore.uris (#5).

I'm standing by to improve the documentation if you find any errors,
omissions, or confusions.

-- Lefty