I took a closer look.  I tried the new JDBC Driver
(org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver) against Hive-Server2, and it displays
Japanese characters properly without any special configurations.

Can you take a look at
HIVE-3245<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3245> for
details, and see if that configuration works for you?  Make sure your Jdbc
application's encoding is set correctly to UTF8 like it describes.

Thanks,
Szehon