Hi,

Here are the steps I followed . Please let me know If I did something wrong.

1)      Create table

hive> CREATE TABLE moiz_partition_test

    > (EVENT_DT STRING) partitioned by

    > (

    > PARTITION_HR INT

    > )

    >  ROW FORMAT DELIMITED

    >  FIELDS TERMINATED BY '09'

    >  location '/user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test'

    > ;

2)      Add partitions
hive> alter table  moiz_partition_test add IF NOT EXISTS partition
(partition_hr=0)  location '/user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/00';
OK
Time taken: 0.411 seconds
hive> alter table  moiz_partition_test add IF NOT EXISTS partition
(partition_hr=1)  location '/user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/01';
OK
Time taken: 0.193 seconds
hive> alter table  moiz_partition_test add IF NOT EXISTS partition
(partition_hr=2)  location '/user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/02';
OK
Time taken: 0.182 seconds
hive> alter table  moiz_partition_test add IF NOT EXISTS partition
(partition_hr=10)  location '/user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/10';
OK
Time taken: 0.235 seconds

3)      Copy data into the directories

hadoop fs -copyFromLocal test.dat  /user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/00

hadoop fs -copyFromLocal test.dat  /user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/01

hadoop fs -copyFromLocal test.dat  /user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/02

hadoop fs -copyFromLocal test.dat  /user/moiztcs/moiz_partition_test/10

4)      Ran the sql

hive> select distinct partition_hr from moiz_partition_test order by
partition_hr;

Ended Job

OK

0