Hi,

note that if your table contains the max value several time, all the
occurences will be returned. Note also that if it contains a null it will
be returned too.

How about this?

 SELECT score FROM student ORDER BY score DESC LIMIT 1 ;

Note that on this query Impala is incoherent with Hive or mySQL, since
Impala considers
that NULL is *greater* than everything while Hive and mySQL consider NULL
to be *smaller* than everything

And just for fun, you can also try in Hive:

FROM
(
  SELECT score FROM student
  DISTRIBUTE BY '1'
  SORT BY score DESC
) M
SELECT score
LIMIT 1
;

FROM
(
  SELECT score FROM student
  DISTRIBUTE BY '1'
) M
REDUCE score USING 'sort -rn | head -1' AS score
;

The second is just to demonstrate the possibilities of custom reduce, but
is greatly inefficient (in speed and memory).
And be sure to use SET mapred.reduce.tasks=1 ; before if you don't want
idle reduce tasks...

(I guess I have some spare time too!)