I feel it's pretty hard to answer this without understanding the following:

1. What exactly are you trying to query? CSV? Avro? ....
2. Where is your data? HDFS? HBase? Local filesystem?
3. What version of hive are you using?
4. What is an example of a query that is slow? Some queries like joins and
stuff would be inherently slower than other simpler ones(though can be
optimized).

Swarnim

--
Swarnim