I don't think Hbase-Hive integration part is that smart, be able to utilize the
index existing in the HBase. But I think it depends on the version you are
using.
>From my experience, there are a lot of improvement space in the Hbase-hive
>integration, especially "push down" logic into HBase engine.
Yong

From: teddyyyy...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:03:42 -0700
Subject: does the HBase-Hive integration support using HBase index (primary key
or secondary index) in the JOIN implementatoin?
To: user@hive.apache.org

if I do a join of a table based on txt file and a table based on HBase, and say
the latter is very large, is HIVE smart enough to utilize the HBase table's
index to do the join, instead of implementing this as a regular map reduce job,
where each table is scanned fully, bucketed on join keys, and then the matching
items found out through the reducer?

thanksYang