Hi Sanjiv,

I can see that this can be a major problem as fundamentally we don’t have any
real clue about the cause of the issue logged somewhere

I did the following to “try” to resolve the issue

1.     Rebooted the cluster. No luck

2.     Reformatted the Namenode and cleaned up datanode directories. Fresh
start no luck

3.     Got rid of all files under $HADOOP_HOME/logs as sometimes a near full
directory can cause this issue. No luck

4.     I could not even use sqoop to gat data from an Oracle table into a text
file. So it was not hive. Increasingly it was pointing to resource manager and
mapreduce set up

5.     So I looked at both yarn-site and mapred-site. I cleaned up everything
from yarn-site except the following lines

<configuration>

    <property>

        <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>

        <value>mapreduce_shuffle</value>

    </property>

<property>

   <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.mapreduce.shuffle.class</name>

   <value>org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ShuffleHandler</value>

</property>

</configuration>

6.     In mapred-site I have the following:

<configuration>

<property>

   <name>mapreduce.framework.name</name>

   <value>yarn</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.job.tracker</name>

<value>rhes564:54311</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.job.tracker.reserved.physicalmemory.mb</name>

<value>1024</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.map.memory.mb</name>

<value>2048</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.reduce.memory.mb</name>

<value>2048</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.map.java.opts</name>

<value>-Xmx3072m</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>mapreduce.reduce.java.opts</name>

<value>-Xmx6144m</value>

</property>

<property>

<name>yarn.app.mapreduce.am.resource.mb</name>

<value>400</value>

</property>

</configuration>

I did not touch anything in mapred-site! I recycled Hadoop and it is now
working.

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Publications due shortly:

Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and
Coherence Cache

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this message
shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries
or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that this email is virus free, therefore neither Peridale
Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.