You can also specify it in "*.hiverc*" file.

.hiverc is executed automatically when Hive CLI is launched.

The file can be located at "$HIVE_CONF_DIR/.hiverc", or "$HOME/.hiverc". It
may vary based on distribution you're on.

The below 2 Hive JIRAs can provide more details.

HIVE-1414 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1414> automatically
invoke .hiverc init script
HIVE-2911 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2911> Move global
.hiverc file