Hi Michael,

I would be curious to know what advantage you are going to get by hashing a
structured field. Has that structured field got very high selectivity so you
end up with equally sized buckets (files) spread?

How about the following

hive> CREATE TABLE foo (id bigint, bar struct<a:string, b:string>) CLUSTERED
BY (id) INTO 32 buckets;

OK

Time taken: 0.787 seconds

HTH

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15",
ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN
978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and
Coherence Cache

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume
one out shortly

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Ltd, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept
any responsibility.