Mich Talebzadeh <mailto:m...@peridale.co.uk>
April 19, 2015 at 12:32

Finally this is more of a speculative question. If we have ORC files that provide good functionality, is there any reason why one should deploy a columnar database such as Hbase or Cassandra If Hive can do the job as well?

Yes, there is. Hive is designed around the assumption that you will be doing scans of significant amounts of data, as are most data warehousing type solutions. It doesn't have the right tools to handle efficient lookup of single rows or small ranges of rows. That's what HBase is good at. I don't know Cassandra as well as HBase, but my impression is that efficient single row/small range lookup is it's sweet spot as well, it just makes a different consistency/partitioning trade off than HBase does.

This means that Hive with ORC is still a bad fit for transactional or front end serving applications.

Alan.

Thanks,

Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

__

Author of the books*"A Practitioner's Guide to Upgrading to Sybase**ASE 15", **ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7*.

co-author *"Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4*

_Publications due shortly:_

*Creating in-memory Data Grid for Trading Systems with Oracle TimesTen and Coherence Cache*

*Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts*, ISBN:978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free, therefore neither Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.