Ok, I'm super confused now. The hive metastore is a RDBMS database. I
totally agree that I shouldn't access it directly via jdbc. So what about
using this class
http://hive.apache.org/javadocs/r0.13.1/api/metastore/org/apache/hadoop/hive/metastore/HiveMetaStoreClient.html
? Is it something that can only be used

If not I can definitely use the thrift api. Just wanted to ask this before
going the thrift route because this class seems like the perfect tool for
me,

Thanks