All,

We continue to struggle with this.  We *never* get  the lock, and found one
issue in which the retry logic gets in an infinite loop.  We submitted a
JIRA for that (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-11934), and
patched our version (HDP 2.3, Hive 1.2.1) with a fix in which the
deadlockCount variable is no longer managed in the lock() method.  That
works, but we still couldn't get the lock, and the exception was thrown
after ten retries.  At least we knew it was broken earlier ;)

We have made the changes to the HIVE transaction tables to enable
ROWDEPENDENCIES, but are still plagued with serialization errors that are
never resolved.

We have only a single writer, as the Hive database environment is used as a
target for an existing EDW dataset.  The job loader is the only one making
changes.  However, it is for analytics, so we have a lot of readers.

We have considered changing the TRANSACTION_SERIALIZABLE for the dbConn()
method call in the TxnHandler class to READ_COMMITTED, as Oracle provides
consistent reads.  Of course, the serialization exception is thrown when
one thread (a read or a writer I guess) attempts to lock a hive table (or
in our case, several hundred daily hive table partitions) attempts to
update the row, and another thread has changed and committed it in the
meantime.

Unless I missing it, this will always be an issue since we have readers and
writers and each appears to take a lock.

If we know we will have a single writer, the largest risk is that the
reader thinks the data hasn't changed, when it has.  For our needs, that
isn't a huge issue.

Are we missing something?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve